Watch this page for updates about the University of Toronto Libraries' physical offerings of our spaces, services, and operations.
June 27, 2022
The University’s current mask requirement will be lifted as of July 1, 2022, subject to any changes in public health guidance.
- This includes University of Toronto Libraries spaces
- Some members of our community may choose to continue to wear a mask after July 1
- We ask everyone to respect each other’s decisions, comfort levels, and health needs
May 2, 2022
As of May 1, 2022, UCheck health screening is no longer required before coming to campus. Health screening and contact tracing will become unavailable in UCheck
April 28, 2022
- As of May 2, 2022, some categories of external users who have paid for library privileges may once more access Robarts Library and Gerstein Science Information Centre in person.
- Categories include alumni; external researchers; associate members; and, University of Toronto Schools students, staff, faculty, and preceptors
- New TCards for members of these groups may be obtained from the Reader Registration Office
- Please note that masks are required in our libraries until at least June 30, 2022.
Recent updates | Collection access | Physical & tech facilities | Research & reference services | Workshops | External borrowers
Robarts Library and Gerstein Science Information Centre are keeping their mandatory masking policy in place until at least June 30, 2022. See provostial memo.– (April 27, 2022).
Robarts Common opens today—ahead of the official Fall 2022 launch—to accommodate the increased demand for study space during the spring exam period – (March 24, 2022).
The University, including U of T Libraries, is keeping its masking policies and vaccination requirement in place until at least the end of term – April 30, 2022 – (March 14, 2022).
Capacity limits of 2 people per group study rooms have now been removed from Robarts Library and Gerstein Science Information Centre – (March 21, 2022).
The Starbucks location in Robarts Library has reopened! – (February 28, 2022).
Current U of T students, faculty, and staff will now get unlimited renewals for regular* loans – this temporary measure has been put in place until further notice to help support a gradual return to campus. Check the borrowing/loans services page for more information e.g., exceptions and exemptions – (February 15, 2022).
Construction is underway at Gerstein Science Information Centre's main entrance. Important information about accessible alternatives for entering the building can be found here – (August 19, 2021).
Access to collections
Stacks | Course reserves | Due date extension | Syllabus Service | Curbside Pickup | HathiTrust ETAS | Scan & Deliver | Request a hold | Intercampus Delivery | Interlibrary loan
- The stacks at Robarts Library and Gerstein Science Information Centre reopened as of January 10, 2022 to current U of T students, faculty, and staff
- As of May 2, 2022 they are also open to alumni, external researchers, and associate members, with paid privileges, as well as to the U of T Schools community
Physical course reserves
Physical course reserves are once more available as of September 2021
- Check the Borrowing page to learn more about automatic and unlimited renewals for regular loans
- Active loans will be subject to recall by other library users
Faculty members can check the Course Support/Syllabus Service information about how to make readings available to students.
Curbside Pick-up Service has ended
- This service has been replaced by the new ability of library users to request a hold on items that are currently in the library
- Before now, users were only able to place holds on items that were checked out
- See Request a hold for details
Scan & Deliver Service
This service is available as of September 7, 2021
Request a hold
- Library users are now able to place holds on items that are checked out as well as items that are currently in the library
- Borrowers must be signed into LibrarySearch to see the requesting functions
- Look for the blue SIGN IN button on the upper right
- The ability to place holds on items currently in the library is equivalent to what was known as the Curbside Delivery Service
Request Intercampus Delivery (ICD)
- ICD service has resumed – you may request books from other U of T campuses
- Borrowers must be signed into LibrarySearch to see the requesting functions. Look for the blue SIGN IN button on the upper right
Request Interlibrary Loans (ILL)
- ILL is available for both physical and electronic items
- New users to RACER – our ILL self-serve system – no longer need to set up an account
Access to HathiTrust ETAS ended September 7, 2021
- The special HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) that allowed users access to digital versions of in-copyright physical books in UTL collections, ended on September 7, when library stacks reopened
- The Libraries' legal agreement with the HathiTrust allowed such access while physical copies were unavailable, and does not allow for both the physical and digitized copies to be borrowed at the same time
- However, library users will continue to have access to more than 6.7 million public domain and Creative Commons-licensed works in HathiTrust that were available before the pandemic began
Physical facilities & resources
Hours | Access | Study space & computers | Technology loans | Print, copy, scan | Carrels | Food services | Other spaces
Building hours: Robarts Library
See Robarts hours.
Building hours: Gerstein Science Information Centre
See Gerstein hours.
- Robarts Library & Gerstein Science Information Centre entrance is by TCard access only
- All libraries are open to current students, faculty, and staff
- As of May 2, 2022, Robarts and Gerstein are open to alumni, external researchers, and associate members, with paid library privileges, as well as members of the University of Toronto School community
- Some libraries may have additional conditions – check their individual websites
Study space & computers | Remote Zone
Remote Zone: Space has been reserved for students to join online classes from campus at Robarts Library first floor and Gerstein Science Information Centre's Wallace Room, on a first-come, first-served basis. Look for the signs!
Regular study space: Available at Robarts and Gerstein. Check other library websites for their information.
Group study rooms: Available at Robarts Library, and available at Gerstein.
Computers & wifi access: Available
RemoteLab: This service allows current students and faculty users to remotely access computers in the library. Standard software such as Microsoft Office 365, as well as specialized software, is available on these computers.
- Technology loans at Robarts are in place as of September 2021
- More information about borrowing device chargers and other accessories
Printing, copying, & scanning
- Available as of September 7, 2021
- 3D printing at Robarts will be available at a later date
- Study carrels in Robarts are available
- Study carrels in Gerstein are not currently available, but requests and renewals are being accepted, and filed for processing later
- Here is a list of eating establishments on the St. George campus
- Starbucks at Robarts Library reopened mid-February 2022
- Robarts Reflection Room – Open as of September 7, 2021
- Robarts Family Study Space – CLOSED until further notice
Access to research & reference services
- Reference & research services are offered online at Robarts Library
- Check individual libraries' websites for information about their online and/or in-person research and reference services
- Workshops held by Robarts and Gerstein are be offered online
- Check the Workshops Calendar for details
- Other libraries may make different arrangements
- Alumni and external researchers are able to request books from Robarts Library as described in the Request a Hold section above
- This means they must have an active UTORid to place the hold
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to renew a card
- As of May 2, 2022, alumni and external researchers with paid privileges are able to use Robarts and Gerstein spaces
– Updated May 12, 2022